Today, SimpliVity is pleased to announce the release of two new OmniCube hyperconverged infrastructure platforms, the CN-3400 and CN-5400. Tracking the latest enhancements in x86 architectures from Intel, the new SimpliVity platforms take advantage of the new Haswell CPUs and the latest enhancements in the SimpliVity Data Virtualization Platform.
Like the rest of the SimpliVity portfolio, the CN-3400 and CN-5400 platforms are hyperconverged systems that assimilate eight to 12 datacenter functions below the hypervisor, with a “pay-as-you-grow” building block approach. If hyperconverged infrastructure is a new concept for you, you can learn more by taking a look at the 2015 State of Hyperconverged Infrastructure eBook.
With these new systems, the price per fully-protected virtual machine (VM) is reduced by 25% compared to existing systems.
The concept of a fully-protected VM is a relatively new one. Under the legacy stack model, the traditional cost metric was based on hardware, i.e. how many CPUs, how many TB of storage, and how many ports on a storage switch.
Instead of focusing on workloads, applications and VMs, the focus was on hardware. And perhaps most importantly, even the infrastructure required for data protection and WAN optimization was typically not included in any cost calculation.
SimpliVity’s approach to hyperconvergence changes this paradigm. Unlike alternative solutions that only converge server and storage resources, SimpliVity assimilates the entire stack. This includes compute and storage and the infrastructure required for backup, disaster recovery and WAN optimization. This is why companies should consider the cost per fully-protected VM as a key metric going forward when comparing various infrastructure alternatives. This metric takes into account the following:
- What is the cost for the compute and storage resources needed to meet the performance objectives for virtualized production workloads?
- What are the infrastructure costs required to protect these VMs according to service level agreements (SLAs) around recovery point objectives (RPOs) and recovery time objectives (RPOs)?
- What are the infrastructure costs required to send data over to a remote data center or a branch office?
- What are the infrastructure costs required to send data to the cloud?
Now, for those of you who like to geek out on the some of the speeds and feeds, here are some additional details on SimpliVity’s two new platforms:
- Designed for a wide range of core data center applications, including Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server databases, SAP, Microsoft Exchange, and VDI.
- The number of physical cores per system increases from 24 to 36 powered by state-of-the-art Intel Xeon Processor E5 v3 Family CPUs, and the max number of vCPUs improves to 144 from 96.
- Effective capacity is 516 TBs based on a median data efficiency of 40:1. One-quarter of our customers are seeing 100:1 or greater data efficiency, which would translate to 1.29 PBs of effective capacity per CN-3400 platform.
- The CN-3400 platform delivers 30% improved Microsoft SQL Server performance and 80% improved performance for typical mixed workloads over the OmniCube CN-3000.
- Ideal for running high-performance application workloads at enterprise and cloud service provider sites.
- The number of physical cores and vCPUs is the same as the CN-3400 and up to 1.5 TB memory for the most CPU- and memory-intensive workloads.
- Effective capacity ranges from 620 TBs to 1.55 PBs per CN-5400 platform.
- Performance-wise, the gains are equally impressive with 70% improved Microsoft SQL Server performance compared to the CN-3000 and a 25% improvement for mixed workloads versus the OmniCube CN-5000.
Since our Data Virtualization Platform is server-agnostic, our new CN-3400 and CN-5400 platforms can be deployed side-by-side with other OmniCube systems or OmniStack Integrated Solution with Cisco UCS to create a single federation to run and protect mission-critical virtualized workloads.
Speeds and feeds aside, the most exciting part of this announcement is how SimpliVity’s hyperconverged infrastructure continues to deliver on our mission to simplify IT for organizations of all sizes – from the smallest IT team to IT at the largest of enterprises. SimpliVity’s new platforms will improve upon the results our customers are already seeing, including these from TechValidate:
- 63% achieved a Recovery Time Objective (RTO) of minutes … and 92% now have an RTO of minutes to hours
- 74% realized value within one month of deploying SimpliVity
- 89% improved performance by more than 25% with SimpliVity while still realizing significant capacity savings