This week, we were thrilled to announce the publication of an independent, commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of SimpliVity that illustrates the dramatic cost savings and operational benefits of SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure.
The November 2015 study, titled “The Total Economic Impact Of SimpliVity Hyperconverged Infrastructure,” demonstrates the impressive results and business outcomes that SimpliVity customers have attained by ditching the legacy stack and adopting SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure instead.
Key findings from the Forrester Total Economic Impact (TEI) study include:
- 73% savings and 3.7X TCO reduction.
- ROI of 224% when discounting at 10% over three years.
- Payback of initial investment in SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure in just 6.6 months.
- Significant time savings reported on the basis of simplified management and operations, with customers citing more time to spend on innovation as a result of adopting SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure.
For prospective customers interested in SimpliVity hyperconvergence
Visionary IT leaders looking to spend more time driving innovation and experimenting with new business models, and less time “keeping the lights on,” should learn more about SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure and the business outcomes outlined in this study.
CFOs and other economic influencers should evaluate the study to learn more about the significant cost savings and rapid payback.
About the Forrester study
To perform its analysis, Forrester interviewed four SimpliVity customers to identify the costs, benefits, and risk factors involved with introducing hyperconverged infrastructure versus their present mode of operation. The SimpliVity customers studied include:
- A higher education institution with two data centers – one primary site and one disaster recovery site – each with one SimpliVity node.
- A financial services organization that replaced 20 TBs of storage and 14 physical host systems with two SimpliVity nodes.
- A global healthcare company with thousands of clinics throughout the US, leveraging SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure to support its VDI deployments.
- A transportation company that provides railway and trucking transportation services throughout the globe.
Based on input from these participants, Forrester designed a composite organization and constructed a risk-adjusted financial model to calculate the associated benefits, costs, flexibility, and risks.
Benefits and costs cited in the Forrester TEI study
Among the many findings in the study are the impressive financial benefits attributed to the composite organization, including the following direct financial benefits:
- Avoided cost of retired assets: $3,186,000
- Avoided professional services: $596,700
- Reduced labor to manage backups: $129,960
- Data center costs: $205,200
- System updates: $23,085
In addition, Forrester study participants’ data was aggregated to paint a picture of the data center consolidation and time savings that these customers experienced across their varied environments:
- Data center footprint reduction by a factor of 10:1
- Average storage efficiency of 60:1
- Backup management time savings: 3 hours/day
- Consulting time savings: 24 hours/week
Along with these quantifiable benefits, the Forrester study demonstrates consistent themes across all participants related to improved management and operations.
- Simplified management and less time spent “keeping the lights on.”
- Improved disaster recovery operations.
- Reduced IOPS and increased application performance.
What’s driving these significant savings and benefits?
- True hyperconvergence
By assimilation of all IT products and services below the hypervisor, including built-in data protection, SimpliVity delivers significant data center and system update cost reductions, along with avoided hardware and software acquisition costs from the dozen or so legacy stack components that are no longer required.
- Data Virtualization Platform
Inline deduplication, compression, and optimization of all data at inception, across all storage tiers, drives incredible storage efficiencies, such as the 60:1 reduction reported by study participants. This unmatched data efficiency allows customers to save on bandwidth-related expenses and lower the amount of storage capacity required to run their VMs.
- Global Unified Management
SimpliVity’s VM-centric management and VM mobility, all managed through a single tab in vCenter, enables simplified management and saves time that would otherwise be dedicated to storage management (LUNs, shares, etc.) and backup policy administration. Despite vastly different deployment scenarios and organization topologies, all of the study participants cited the significant time savings and operational expense reductions driven by SimpliVity’s ease of management.
Check out the Forrester report to learn more
Now that you’ve read this summary, download the full Forrester TEI report.