Just when I thought that no day could come along that could ever top Pi day 2015 (3-14-15), I just learned of another cool reason to celebrate, Geek Pride Day! In case you are wondering, Geek Pride Day was founded by Germán Martínez, a Spanish blogger who goes by the nickname “Señor Buebo.” And like Pi day, the day of Geek Pride Day is no mere coincidence. It coincides with the theatrical premiere of “Star Wars” in 1977 and annual celebrations of the Douglas Adams’ “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” and Terry Pratchett’s “Discworld” science fiction series.
So to celebrate Geek Pride Day in our little corner of the universe, I reached out to colleagues and customers of SimpliVity to compile this Hyperconverged Infrastructure Geek checklist. Start each item on the list with the phrase “You know you’re a bona-fide hyperconverged infrastructure geek WHEN…” and check the statements that apply to you.
- You get into heated debates about the merits of RAID+RAIN or RAIN+Erasure Coding
- Fibre channel zoning is just a bad dream
- You involuntarily shudder when someone mentions the word LUN
- You use the free rack space in your data center to house your Star Wars action figure collection
- You can’t finish you morning cup of coffee before cloning of your monster VM completes
- You can cite your deduplication ratios in your sleep
- Your auto correct changes simplicity to SimpliVity
- Your friend talk about backup windows and you have to resist shouting “Ha ha!” like Nelson on the Simpsons
- You share your Hot Node pics for all to admire (special shout out to Shane Ladd from Marketing Innovators for getting that great community discussion going)
- You no longer have to block your weekends to do backups and can binge watch Silicon Valley all weekend instead
And on the topic of binge watching Silicon Valley, one of my favorite geeks from the show, Gilfoyle, stated it best when he said: “I spilled coffee on it. I’m a nerd.”
— Silicon Valley (@SiliconHBO) May 24, 2016
Happy Geek Pride Day!