Enterprise Cloud Solutions
Enterprises across the world are leveraging SimpliVity for “anywhere” private cloud computing. Private cloud computing enables the quick provisioning of IT resources—compute, memory, storage, application services, data protection services, etc.—from a centralized pool of resources that is automated and orchestrated around the needs of the business. Private cloud computing is fundamentally a new way of thinking about the delivery of IT services.
A common misconception is that private cloud computing must always be on-premises. This is not necessarily the case. It might be on-premises, but private cloud computing is just as likely to be delivered via a trusted service provider.
SimpliVity provides a Global Utility Enablement Program to help its service provider partners offer innovative solutions in an “as-a-service” model. By leveraging hyperconverged infrastructure, our service provider partners can offer everything from infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), backup and disaster recovery-as-a-service (BaaS/DRaaS), to the emerging market of platform-as-a-service (PaaS) at low price points, granular increments, and in a billing model that much more directly ties to your actual consumption of resources.
If you’re looking for Enterprise Cloud Solutions, find a SimpliVity partner.
Enterprise Cloud: Becoming a Utility
As Nicholas Carr wrote in “The Big Switch,” “computing is turning into a utility.” Your electric or gas bill is tied directly to the amount you use. Use more, pay more; use less, pay less. You don’t know where your electricity is coming from, and you don’t necessarily care. Instead, you plug your appliances into the wall, and you get the power you need. Computing is moving in the same direction more and more, but this transition doesn’t happen overnight.
Case in point: The electric utility industry was not originally designed with a utility model. The original model was local generation powering individual sites over direct current. It took decades for the alternating current to win the “power war,” for large central power plants to break ground, and for nationwide power lines to connect homes into the grid.
So, how can end users start this transition to Enterprise Cloud Solutions? How can you start to gain the benefits of cloud economics, scale, and efficiency without ripping and replacing your entire infrastructure and starting from scratch?
Public Cloud For Enterprise Cloud?
Wait a minute, what? How can private cloud computing leverage public cloud computing? Remember …
- The objective of private cloud computing is to build automation, orchestration, and self-provisioning into infrastructure dedicated to the enterprise, while at the same time driving down capital and operational costs.
- Private cloud computing resources, by definition, do not have to be located on premises.
- The limitations of legacy infrastructure, including large building block sizes and long data migration times, often handcuffs IT organizations.
- IT organizations often have to use separate backup, replication, and disaster recovery tools if they haven’t already invested in data center consolidation.
Public cloud computing promises flexibility and agility. It offers capacity on demand. Public cloud computing delivers on-demand elastic scale-out and scale-in of resources. Enterprise cloud solutions combine the benefits of both private and public cloud computing.
But there are some caveats:
- How can you maintain the same level of control that you’re accustomed to with your on-premises infrastructure?
- How can you maintain Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with your business constituents?
- How can you ensure critical data protection SLAs, like Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) and Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs)?
- How can you avoid using separate management screens?
Enterprise Cloud Integration
OmniStack Cloud is a software instance of OmniStack deployed in an Amazon Web Services (AWS) public cloud computing environment. It seamlessly integrates with your OmniStack global federation to enable off-site backup and long-term, cost-effective archive storage.
The OmniStack federation transforms into an Enterprise Cloud Solution by extending it to include your OmniStack Cloud systems running in AWS’s Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) and participating in the OmniStack federation—just like any other member system. They’re managed from the same centralized interface as the rest of your OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure building blocks.
When you want to establish a protection policy for a virtualized workload, you can send copies to your AWS public cloud computing environment. This setup allows a protection policy to move backup copies to and from the AWS cloud in the same way backup copies are moved between your data centers. In-flight encryption protects backup copies sent between your data center and your OmniStack Cloud, and remains encrypted for its life in your AWS public cloud computing environment.
Simplivity OmniCube Enterprise Cloud Solutions allow you to:
- Treat your public cloud computing environment as an extension of your private cloud computing environment.
- Grow and shrink your private cloud computing resources on demand.
- Achieve a truly elastic private cloud computing infrastructure.
- Maintain critical RPO and RTO SLAs for workloads.
- Manage all workloads—whether they reside in your public cloud computing or private cloud computing environment—from one screen.
Just as in the electric utility metaphor, Enterprise Cloud Solutions powered by SimpliVity OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure allow you to treat your IT infrastructure as a utility, just as you do today with electricity, gas, cable, or water services.
How would SimpliVity Enterprise Cloud Solutions differ from other cloud offerings? What truly sets SimpliVity apart is OmniStack’s treatment of the virtual machine. SimpliVity OmniStack removes the handcuffs that previously tethered data to its physical infrastructure. The virtual machine’s data is mobile and not hampered by its datastore’s association with the underlying storage, and VM-centric policies and management provide even greater flexibility.
SimpliVity’s OmniStack is the clear choice among enterprise cloud solutions, delivering cloud economics, scale and efficiency with its revolutionary hyperconverged infrastructure platform and cloud enablement features.