Seamless Data Migration with SimpliVity OmniStack
SimpliVity OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure minimizes manual efforts typically associated with data migrations, enabling faster time to deployment and time to market.
According to Wikibon, 24% of the cost of any new storage array is associated with data migration. That’s astronomical.
It’s not the cost of the infrastructure, managing the ever-increasing growth in data, the application, or virtual workload performance. No, instead, it’s simply the cost of moving data from one platform to another. It’s a cost that should not exist.
The Data Migration Challenge
Why are data migrations so expensive? Why are they so challenging?
Simply put, infrastructure complexity is a result of the Data Problem. Organizations have invested in many different point technologies and appliances to make their data more efficient. These appliances were not designed in the era of virtualization. They are legacy technologies designed for siloed approaches.
With legacy siloed infrastructure, data is not mobile. Data is associated to the virtual machine; however, it resides on physical constructs of the past: Logical Units (LUNs), shares, volumes, RAID groups, and disk groups. These are concepts that fundamentally tie data to the legacy storage array and limit mobility.
Data Migration Complexity
One of many negative byproducts of the mobility limitation is the complexity imposed on data migration. The concept sounds easy: “I would like to move my data from my old platform to my new platform.”
You do this in your personal life all the time. You buy a new laptop and you expect to move your data from old to new simply and easily. However, today, the process with enterprise storage is much more complicated. You most likely:
- Spend hours, days, or weeks deciding how to load balance VMware hosts to provide a phased migration of hardware; ensure enough capacity and resources on the original array to continue normal operations; and mitigate risk in case of a failure.
- Purchase the necessary licenses for replication software on either the host and/or the array.
- Solicit and receive permission from, or politically coerce, the various application owners who will have to accept downtime.
- Determine if migrating applications has dependencies on any other applications.
- Schedule a “final backup” so there is always a rollback option in case something goes wrong.
- Schedule application downtime across all affected applications within the same window.
- Set up the new array or the new site.
- Receive final sign off from all application owners that, “yes, this migration really will occur on this date and time.”
- Pray that everything works or start over again from the beginning.
As a result of these challenges, you are drastically overspending on your data migrations, both in terms of CapEx and OpEx. The work hours, the processes, the approvals, and the manual tasks all lead to data migrations costing 17% of the cost of the physical array.
From a CapEx perspective, you also, on average, purchase new arrays five months earlier than needed. You also keep the old array three months longer than you should—all due to time and risk mitigation. Adding in this combination brings the total cost of migrations to 24% of the cost of the physical array.
SimpliVity OmniStack Improves Data Migrations
SimpliVity OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure minimizes manual efforts typically associated with data migrations, enabling faster time-to-deployment and time-to-market.
At its core, SimpliVity provides virtual machine centricity and mobility. Gone are the days of managing LUNs, share and volumes. With SimpliVity, you just manage virtual machines. The core design principle is to make data as mobile as the virtual machine.
On OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure, the data migration process is radically simplified:
- Deploy a new OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure building block at the remote site.
- vMotion and Storage vMotion the applications and data to the OmniStack.
- Back up the virtual machines to the remote site.
- Restore the virtual machines at the remote site.
How is that possible? SimpliVity designed OmniStack to support data mobility, locally and across distance. OmniStack supports the same ideals inherent to the virtual machine itself: abstract hardware, and make it simple.
Moreover, SimpliVity’s Data Virtualization Platform deduplicates, compresses and optimizes all data inline at inception, once and forever. Therefore, only unique blocks of data are backed up over the WAN, speeding the process and limiting the impact on the wire.
Apply OmniStack hyperconverged infrastructure to your data migration initiative today.